8/24/2011

Why Can't You R-E-S-P-E-C-T my Decision


It's that time of year again, Back To School- shopping for new supplies and clothes and signing up for classes. Our family, I would say is lucky and do not have to deal with getting new clothes, signing up, school list, orientation or conferences. We do however have to deal with the people that seem to think what they think is right has to be right for everyone. This week alone about 4 people have ask my son what school he is going to, usually during the year we may get 1 or 2 a month. He always says, " I am in homeschool." Then the look happens and if it is a Public School employee that look could probably kill and then they just kinda walk away.

I can not for the life of me figure out why Public School (PS) employees feel the way they do about homeschoolers. I would think that they would support the fact that a parent is active in their child's education. Isn't that what they want from us when our child is in PS? What I think PS employees need to understand that most families that homeschool do it because it is what is best for their child and the PS had no influence on that decision. Homeschoolers have to deal with not doing the norm all the time and I think that is ridiculous. I like to teach my children NOT to follow, make your own decision. I have had issues with discrimination BECAUSE we homeschool which is sad. This has come from just your average person all the way up to the White House. (though most are supportive even some bloggers have done this)

I wish everyone would look at the BIG picture. In 15 years my kids will be in their 20's and I don't think it is going to matter that they were homeschooled. They get a great education and actually do not have alot of the stress that goes with PS. We are not living in a deserted, wooded area surrounded by only trees so they see and talk to people everyday so I expect they will be very social (if thats your worry). So why can't everyone respect the decisions that more and more families are making. After all we are working for the same thing, a better future.

No comments: