5/25/2013

Other Parent Drama.

Sometimes I wish I could build a dome around me and my family and just block out everyone else.  I wonder how others WITH kids can be ones that have the least understanding about how kids are. I don't know if they think every kids is suppose to be like theirs or if they just think they can infringe on the way others parent their kids.

If you know me or have read any of my blog you know that I homeschool my kids. I choose to homeschool for many different reasons but I am going to talk about one today. (Some) Other Parents. When my son was in Kindergarten, let me say that again Kindergarten he got in trouble for saying something to a little girl. The little girl told her parents and the parents complained to the teacher. Well let me tell you what my 6 year old said that was so bad. The class was have a discussion about something to do with rain and getting wet and the subject of running through mud puddles came up. There was a little girl my son liked and he would pick on her more that normal (like little boys do). He said something to her about having to run through the puddle naked. He said this because he thought it would be funny not in a sexual way whatsoever. He is 6 for goodness sake. The parents of the little girl BOTH had to come and complain to the teacher. I thought this was the stupidest thing ever. They are both 6 and at that age they look at naked as being funny. My son didn't even understand WHY the parents were upset. What was I suppose to say, they are mad because they think you want to see there daughter naked? He would be like YUK. After this happened (and alot of other things too) I decided I would just homeschool him because I didn't want to deal with the petty drama.

Let me also add that my son has a history impulse issues and doesn't always think before he speaks. I think this has alot to do with why he does these things. The problem I have is the parents not being more understanding. I have learned to live with the fact that people just aren't. My youngest son is on the Autism Spectrum and tends to get judged all the time so I have alot of experience with it but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I don't like to label my kids or just tell everyone
 their business, I feel like they shouldn't judge because they DON'T know the situation.

My son is now 11 years old and he is still in homeschool and I wouldn't have it any other way. He takes karate 4 day a week and is also in Boy Scouts. I knew the day would come that I would have to deal with petty parent drama again because I have to accept the fact I don't have the dome.

We had karate tonight and his karate instructor, which is the best instructor ever when it comes to working with my son, had a discussion with me. He told me that one of the other parents over heard my son tell another kid he was going to kill him. First let me say this my son is in no way violent or threatening, if anything he gets picked on and bullied more than anyone else in the class. Luckily it doesn't bother him.
I have heard my son say this phrase before and I have told him that is not something you should say to someone even if it is jokingly. But I am sure your kids have did something you told them wasn't right. The instructor told me that he knows my son did not mean it in a threatening way but he still should not say it, I agree. He also said 2 more parents came and told him they heard him say it. What! Really. They are going to make this big of a deal out of it. Where are these parents when these kids are being mean to my son or telling him they are going to beat him up during the sparring time? Do they not hear these things? I do. I know one of the problems is because my son is homeschool he doesn't know the tricks of sneaking (which is a good thing for me). He is usually the loudest kid in the room so everyone hears what he says. The others kids know if they say something inappropriate they should do it quietly. I know for a fact all kids have times when they say inappropriate things and this is no different. After asking my son about it he said he didn't mean it literally he was just joking. He wasn't mad when he said it or anything.

What I don't understand is the parents not being more understanding about how kids are. Are their kids so good at hiding things from them that they really believe their kid is perfect. Well that is a train wreck waiting to happen. I really would worry about it except the instructor told my son that he could come to karate if it happens again. I think that is extreme.

I don't want you to think I took what my son said lightly because I don't. I have told him that he has to watch what he says to people.

I hate dealing with this drama especially when it is so stupid.
I don't know how to deal with it to be honest with you. My son recently went on a camping trip with the Boy Scouts and came home asking me about things that he should not have been asking about. So should I go complain about the two boys my son got all this vulgar information from or should I just Understand?

Maybe someone else can tell me how I should deal with the karate class situation because I don't want all my son's hard work be lost over a few words.

No comments: