9/11/2012

Rosetta Stone Reveiw

Learning a new language is very intimidating so teaching it was down right scary. As a homeschool mom I try to make sure my kids have every opportunity possible. I debated about buying the Rosetta Stone program for over a year and when they finally had a big sale I decided to take the plunge.

I went ahead and purchased the Homeschool Edition because it has extra features I was interested in. The Homeschool Edition has Parent Administrative Tools that let you track your student's progress with just a few mouse clicks. You can also pick different curriculum paths for each student.

So far my oldest son has completed about half of the first level. He really enjoys using the microphone and learning new words. Since Rosetta Stone claims their program is basically like teaching everyone like they learn like a child, the idea that words become phrases, then full sentences. Ideas and concepts begin to replace simple objects and actions. New vocabulary and structures are integrated into what you have already learned. Through pattern recognition, more and more of the language is understandable. Slowly, but surely, you develop a foundation in your new language. This process seems to work well for my son but for me I am not so sure, I guess that is yet to be seen.

Not Enough Translations 
I know this is supposed to be an 'immersion' experience, but a lot of people have complained about the lack of an English translation. This is a deal-breaker for many people. Would it be so difficult to just have a little button on the side to provide the translation for people who wanted it? It would make so many people happy.

Over Priced
Honestly I think this is a great program especially for kids but at $400 for the whole curriculum you better be sure that it will work for your child. There is one very good thing about Rosetta Stone, it has a 6 month money back guarantee. So if you try it for 3 months and it just isn't working out you have that option. They also have a TRY IT FREE demo which I highly recommend before you purchase.

Overall so far I recommend Rosetta Stone Homeschool for kids but not so much for adults. I will periodically add more to this review as my son get more into the program and we learn more about it.






No comments: